Thursday 31 January 2013

SMOOTHIE 2 – GREEN GOODNESS




Ingredients:
A few stems of broccoli (I only used about a third of what is shown in the image)
Hand full of baby spinach
Juice from 1 lime
Juice from half a lemon
1 peeled kiwi
Half a peeled apple
1 inch cube of fresh grated ginger
Chunk of peeled cucumber
Half a cup of cold water


I had this glowing glass of green goodness for breakfast and it was amazing! It was so fresh and really filling. I wanted to try using broccoli as I know how much goodness is in there but the thought of raw mushed broccoli for breakfast kinda made my stomach turn. However, the kiwi, lemon, lime and apple totally masked the taste of it. I didn't mind that it was a little on the thick side because it was so refreshing. The ginger wasn't as strong as I thought it would be either, you just get a nice warm after taste. 

I made a bit of a mess with this one! The amount of liquid combined with all the fruit/veg resulted in lots of spitting and splashing! The whole counter got covered! Next time I will build up gradually and use a lower speed. It was also quite a full glass and I still had a lot left in the jug! I couldn't finish it all as I was so full. I thought that I would be really hungry by 10:00, but I lasted until 12:00 without any need for a morning snack. Happy days.

I even managed to get the boyfriend in on some smoothie making action this morning! He didn't actually make the smoothie, but he was intrigued and I agreed to make one for him.

I pretty much used the same ingredients as The Breakfast Power Smoothie. Jon likes a good hearty breakfast and wasn't sure if the smoothie would be enough, so I replaced the protein powder with oats, used a whole banana, more peanut butter and a small amount of cocoa powder. He wasn't a fan of the green colour, but once he started drinking, he loved it! RESULT!

Making a smoothie on the morning isn't too much hassle and I love that you can put it in a bottle and go. However, I would love to find ways to make it easier and quicker. I guess I could wash, peel and chop my fruit and veg the night before? Or someone has even suggested chopping, then freezing the fruit and veg! If anyone has any handy tips, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment